New Release, Knoppix 8.6
One of my firsts Linux experiences was Knoppix, I forget that what was exact version but I guess, it was Knoppix 3.1 or older version. After 17 years, I am still one of fans. Knoppix is one of most popular and firsts live Linux distributions on CD/DVD.
What’s New in Knoppix 8.6?
Version 8.6 of KNOPPIX is based on Debian/stable (buster), with some packages from Debian/testing and unstable (sid) for newer graphics drivers or desktop software packages. It uses Linux kernel 5.2.5 and Xorg 7.7 (core 1.20.4) for supporting current computer hardware.
Changes in Knoppix 8.6:
- Updated Kernel and System software (Debian buster+sid),
- LXDE, the lightweight Knoppix standard desktop including file manager pcmanfm 1.3.1.
- Gnome 3 (Bootoption
- KDE 5 (
- Accessible Adriane Audio Desktop.
- Wine 4.0 prerelease for directly installing and running Windows applications on Linux, also Windows 10.
- Qemu-kvm 3.1 as scriptable virtualization solution.
- Privacy-enhanced tor browser, upgradeable and startable via the Knoppix-menu.
- Web-Browser Chromium 76.0.3809.87, Firefox 68.0.1 with ad blocker Ublock Origin and Noscript.
- Libre Office 6.3.0-rc2, Gimp 2.10.8.
- Maths/Algebra-Software for teachers, solving equations etc.: Maxima 5.42.1 with direct integration of Maxima sessions into Texmacs, creating documentation directly during live lessions.
- 3D Productivity-Software Blender 2.79.b, Freecad 0.18, Meshlab 1.3.2, Open Scad 2015.03 (Bugs) for 3D Prototyping, Slic3r 1.3 for layering 3D prints.
- Virtualization and Container functions for experimenting: “Knoppix in Knoppix – KVM” (fully virtualized), “Knoppix in Docker” (integrated 64bit Docker environment), “Knoppix in Chroot” (builds a chroot container by symlinks)
- Video editing & Productivity: kdenlive 18.12.3, openshot 2.4.3, photofilmstrip 3.7.1, obs-studio 22.0.3
- Mediathekview 13.2.1
- OwnCloud 2.5.1 and NextCloud 2.5.1 Clients
- E-Book Manager calibre 3.39.1
- Game Engine godot3 3.0.6
- Audio/Video transcoder: RipperX 2.8.0, Handbrake 1.2.2,
- UpnP-Streaming: gerbera 1.1.0
- Automatic resizing of the Overlay-Partition without Reboot (!) even after 1:1 copying to USB flash disk (see → Hybrid Partition Layout),
- Remastering-Option when copying to USB flash disk by
- Terminator (Terminal-Emulator with many features),
- Support for UEFI Secure Boot
Knoppix Download Link
You can go to the below link and download Knoppix as ISO image: