[Review]: Oracle Secure Global Desktop
What is Oracle SGD (Secure Global Desktop)?
Oracle Secure Global Desktop is a secure remote access solution for any cloud-hosted enterprise application and hosted desktops running on Microsoft Windows, Linux, Oracle Solaris and mainframe servers. Oracle Secure Global Desktop works with a wide range of popular client devices, including Windows PCs, Macs, Linux PCs, Chromebook and tablets such as the Apple iPad and Android-based devices.
The software gives users the ability to work securely from nearly any device, virtually anywhere, while providing administrators the tools they need to control access to applications and desktop environments resident in the data center.
Oracle SGD Features
Oracle Secure Global Desktop offers the below key features to users:
- Secure remote access solution
- Delivers access to cloud-hosted applications and desktops from nearly any device, virtually anywhere.
- Support for applications running on Windows, Oracle Solaris, Linux, HPUX, AIX, AS/400, and mainframe servers.
- Supported clients include Windows PCs, Macs, Linux PCs, as well as iPad and Android tablets.
- Fast and easy browser-based access over LAN or WAN.
- SGD Gateway enables secure and convenient access through firewalls.
- SGD Gateway supports IPv6.
- Suspend and resume sessions across different devices and locations.
- Strong authentication, secure connections, controlled access.
- Username/password as well as ssh private key authentication to Unix servers
- Single Sign-On (SSO) integration with Oracle Access Manager, enables Oracle SGD users to access multiple applications with a single login and simplified password management.
- Centralized monitoring of a multiserver Oracle SGD deployment with Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Certified for use with Oracle’s web- based applications such as Oracle E- Business Suite, Oracle’s Siebel CRM, Oracle’s Primavera, and many others.
Oracle Secure Global Desktop Benefits
- Eliminates the need to download, configure and maintain specific apps on tablet devices, as well as the need to pre-install client software on PCs and Macs – all you need is a web browser.
- Enables secure access to data centers – no VPN required with use of included secure gateway.
- Simplified access to all your Windows, Oracle Solaris, Linux, Oracle’s web-applications, HP-UX, AIX, AS/400, and mainframe applications that are resident in the data center, from one single portal.
- Nearly instant deployment and configuration with a ready-to-run Oracle VM Template for Oracle VM 3, eliminating the need to separately install and configure the operating system and Oracle SGD.
- Cloud-ready configuration of Oracle SGD Gateway and Server component on the same instance.
- VM connectors to talk to Oracle VM VirtualBox and Oracle VM web services, to dynamically list launch candidates.
Supported Application Type
The below application types are supported by Oracle Secure Global Desktop:
- Native Windows applications and desktops
- Character applications running on Oracle Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, and AIX
- X applications running on Oracle Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, and AIX
- IBM mainframe and AS/400 applications
- Web applications (using HTML and Java technology)
Supported Protocol Type
The below protocols are supported by Oracle Secure Global Desktop:
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol
- Secure shell
- VT, ANSI
The below clients are supported by Oracle Secure Global Desktop:
- Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (Desktop mode), Windows 10
- Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12
- Oracle Linux 7
- Oracle Linux 6
- Oracle Linux 5
- Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04
- iOS 7, 8, 9, 10 on Apple iPad
- Android 4.x, 5, 6 tablets
- Chromebook (Chrome OS 38.0+)
Supported Authentication Mechanism
- LDAP v3
- Microsoft Active Directory
- RSA SecurID
- Oracle Unified Directory
- Network Information Service
- PAM for UNIX user authentication
- Windows Domains
- HTTP, HTTPS including public key infrastructure−based client certificates
Licensing and Pricing
You can buy the below licenses for Oracle Secure Global Desktop, the both licenses are “Named User” based:
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop for Microsoft Windows, AS/400, Solaris, Unix and Mainframe
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop for Microsoft Windows only
Oracle offers support up to 5 years for both.