VMware vSphere 6.5 Update 1
New Release – VMware vSphere 6.5 Update 1
VMware vSphere 6.5 Update 1 is generally available for download. All previous patches (5 patches) are rolled to this update. There is some new guest OS that the guests are added to supported guest list such as Windows Server 2016, CentOS 6.9, RHEL 7.3.5 and Ubuntu 17.04. Now, it’s possible to upgrade vSphere 6 U3 to vSphere 6.5 U1. This update has other enhancements and new features that you can read about them in the following.
What’s New in ESXi 6.5 U1?
The ESXi 6.5 Update 1 release includes the following list of new features.
- If you prefer to use Update Manager for the upgrade of ESXi and vSAN stack, you can now enable vSAN software upgrades through integration with vSphere Update Manager. This provides a unified and common workflow.
- Driver Updates:
- Cavium qlnativefc driver
- VMware nvme driver
- Intel i40en driver with Lewisburg 10G NIC Support
- Intel ne1000 driver with Lewisburg 1G NIC Support
- Intel igbn driver
- Intel ixgben driver
- Broadcom ntg3 driver
Please read the ESXi 6.5 U1 Release Notes for find more information about resolved issues.
What’s New in vCenter 6.5 U1?
- You can run the vCenter Server Appliance GUI and CLI installers on Microsoft Windows 2012 x64 bit, Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 x64 bit, Microsoft Windows 2016 x64 bit, and macOS Sierra.
- TcServer is now replaced with Tomcat 8.5.8.
- vCenter Server 6.5 Update 1 supports Guest OS customization for Ubuntu 17.04 OS.
- VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection (VADP) now also support Windows Server 2016 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux RHEL 7.3 as operating systems to perform proxy backup. This is in addition to the backup proxy operating systems already supported with VADP and VDDK 6.5.
- If you prefer to use Update Manager for the upgrade of ESXi and vSAN stack, you can now enable vSAN software upgrades through integration with vSphere Update Manager. This provides a unified and common workflow. For more information see the vSphere Update Manager Installation and Administration Guide.
- External database support: vCenter Server now supports Microsoft SQL Server 2016, Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP1, and Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP2.
- The HTML5-based vSphere Client now supports most content library and OVF deployment operations, as well as operations on roles and permissions, basic customization of the Guest OS, and additions to virtual machine, host, datastore, and network management.
- The HTML5-based vSphere Client now supports French, Swiss-French, and Swiss-German keyboards. For known issues related to the keyboard mapping, see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2149039.
- Linked vCenter Server instances now support up to 15 vCenter Server instances, 5,000 ESXi hosts, 50,000 powered on virtual machines, and 70,000 registered virtual machines. For more information, see the vSphere Configuration Maximums.
- During the command-line installation, upgrade and migration processes of vCenter Server Appliance, a structured status file is provided along with installer logs.
- Updates to JRE package. The Oracle (Sun) JRE package is updated to version 1.8.0_131.
Read vCenter 6.5 U1 Release Notes for more information and resolved issue.
Components of vSphere 6.5 U1 are available on the below links for download:
- VMware vCenter Server 6.5 U1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 U1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vSphere Replication 6.5.1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware Tools 10.1.10 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vRealize Orchestrator Plug-In for vSphere Replication 6.5.1 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vSAN Management SDK 6.6.1 [Download]
- VMware vSAN Witness Appliance 6.5 U1 [Download]
- VMware vSphere Virtual Disk Development Kit 6.5 U1 [Download]
- VMware vSphere Web Client SDK 6.5 U1 [Download]
- VMware Identity Manager 2.9.2 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware Site Recovery Manager 6.5.1 [Release Notes] [Download]