Nakivo Backup & Replication 6 – Review
Nakivo is one of companies that working on data protection solution in virtual environment.
Nakivo develops a fast and reliable product for backup, recovery and replication for VMware vSphere and Amazon Cloud environment.
Nakivo Backup & Replication 6
Nakivo Backup & Replication 6.x is latest version of the products that it has been develops for VMware vSphere and Amazon Cloud.
I’m working with this product in my home lab more than one month and I want to share some information about its features and configurations.
Nakivo Backup & Replication 6 Feature
Nakivo develops its data protection products with lot of suitable fetures:
- VM Backup Offiste and Onsite: This product supporting Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, SQL Server and other products for backup and restore application items and database. You can have up to 1000 recovery points and it be able to create backup onsite via LAN or LAN-Free solutions and offsite backup via WAN connection for daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. It’s using VMware CBT for tracking changes on VM disks. Nakivo has source compression and duplication technology for reducing storage cost.
- VM Backup To Amazon Cloud: Nakivo Backup & Replicstion has an ability to configure Amazon cloud storage as backup repository.
- Backup Copy: Nakivo can copy your backups to another backup repository for preventing accidental deletion or corruption. It can be a scheduled job same as original backup job.
- VMware Replication VM: Nakivo Backup & Replication can create replica VM on your remote site and save up to 30 recovery points.
- Screenshot Verification: When VM is recovered, Nakivo Backup & Replication will capture a screenshot from booted OS and send you in an email.
- Global Data De-duplication and Compression: Just unique blocks will be stored in backup file and help you to save large amount of storage space.
- Instant VM Recovery: VM can be powered on from compressed and de-duplicated image and you can test your disaster recovery, apply patches and check upgrade impacts on the machine.
- Instant Granular Recovery: You can recover application items from backup files by this feature without restoring all VM files.
- HTTP APIs For Automation: This is an automation solution, it will reduce time spent on data protection management.
- Multi-Threading: Nakivo be able to run backup jobs parallel and speed up backup processing.
I’ve mentioned important features but the product has more features that you can read more about them on Nakivo Help Center.
Nakivo Backup & Replication has the below components, you can install them as a server or distribute on multiple servers:
- Director: Director is the central management and provide user interface for job creation, maintain inventory, manage backups and any other action which can be done via web user interface.
- Transporter: Transporter is responsible to performs backup, recovery, compression and encryption.
- Backup Repository: Backup repository is a storage space in local site or remote site or cloud storage for storing backup data.
You can install it on your physical or virtual machine or you can deploy it from OVA file as a virtual appliance.
You need to the below requirements for Nakivo Backup & Replication components:
- Director and Onboard Transporter:
- CPU: 2 Cores
- RAM: 4 GB + 250 MB Per each concurrent job
- Free Space: 1 GB
- CPU: 2 Cores
- RAM: 2 GB + 250 MB Per each concurrent job
- Free Space: 1GB
You can deploy Nakivo Backup & Replication on Windows, Linux and even some NAS systems.
Nakivo Backup & Replication supporting VMware vSphere 4.1 to 6.x and it’s recommended that install all patches on your hypervisor.
You need to have the below network requirements as well:
- Latency (RTT): Up to 250 ms
- Packet loss: Up to 1%
- Bandwidth: 1Mb/s or higher
Please read more information on Nakivo Help Center
Free and NFR Licenses
Nakivo offers you free license for using in lab and it has same features as the paid version but you can take backup from two virtual machines and so it’s limited.
IT professionals (VMUG members, VMware vExpert, VCP, VSP, VTSP, or VCI) can also receive a free 2-Socket Not For Resale (NFR) license of NAKIVO Backup & Replication for one year.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is licensed per physical CPU socket for each server on which you back up or replicate VMs. Licenses are required only for the source side of backup and replication, that is, you do not need to license target servers for your replicas or servers on which you want to recover backed up VMs. By default, NAKIVO Backup & Replication includes a 15 day trial license for 6 sockets.
Installation And Configuration
You don’t have to learn Linux or Windows for configure Nakivo Backup & Replication and it’s installation is so easily. Also Windows version does not require additional component such as database.
Just you need to configure basic network and time configuration on virtual appliance.
After importing virtual appliance or installing Windows version, you can open Director web page via your server web address on port 4443. The address is like this: https://Server Address:4443.
You can edit the imported virtual machine and increase its resources as you wish.
Then you need to do some basic configuration before create first backup or replication job:
- At first step, you need to configure network configurations after deploying OVA:
Note: If you have a ESXi server that it’s managing by a vCenter, you should add the vCenter because you can’t user recovery or Flash VM Boot!
Now, you should add a Nakivo Transporter, you can use the current transporter or add stand-alone transporter from the local site or remote site. I will explain that in the next post that the post is about Nakivo Backup & Replication advanced deployment and also I will explain more about transport modes!
Nakivo Backup & Replication be able to use local or remote repository for storing backup files, this is related to your deployment type and your Nakivo server specification, using local repository and taking backup from that on remote shared folder is recommended.
Of course, you can choose different repository for different backup jobs.
4. After preparing backup environment, you can create first backup job, so click on “Create”:
But we want to create a simple backup job, it’s so easy and you must follow four steps!
4.1. Step 1, choosing VMs that you want have a backup from them:
4.4. At the final step, you can specify the backup job options such as “Screenshot Verification”, “Recovery Points Retention” and other options:
After run the backup job, Nakivo Backup & Replication will create snapshot from the machine and starting to transferring backup data via Transporter to backup repository. You can monitor the backup job performance on the backup job dashboard:
6. Create backup from a machine was so easy and now, what about recovery, it’s too easier. First, I want to use Flash VM Boot for create a recovered machine from backup and power on it. Nothing will be transferred from your repository to your environment at this step except your machine configuration files. Flash VM Boot is a feature to run a machine from backup file directly. Backup disk will be mounted to the machine as RDM disk. Also you can choose recovery point and boot the backup from different recovery points. It is faster than full recovery:
6.1. You should select “Flash VM Boot” from “Recovery” section in main dashboard:
I don’t want to explain all the steps because it’s so easy and you can find full information on Nakivo Help Center.
You can use Flash VM Boot feature in emergency cases or test cases.
7. Now full recovery, full recovery means recover your machine files (All files , configuration files and VMDK files) from backup file, it takes more time compare to Flash VM Boot and you can recover your machine and overwrite its files or recover it as another VM:
Recovery jobs have performance dashboard same as other jobs, so you can see that what is happening!
Till now, we worked by Nakivo Backup & Replication Web UI but Nakivo Backup & Replication has CLI as well and you can create and run jobs faster via that, you can install it on your machine and manage your backups remotely. Find useful information on this page.
I recommend you to download and test Nakivo Backup & Replication becuase it’s very good backup suite for VMware vSphere.